- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 106 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (from about three 14.3-ounce packages), such as Oreos
- 1 cup milk
Special equipment: a large bowl that is 10 inches wide at the top, 5½ inches wide at the bottom and 4 inches tall
- Line a large glass bowl (10 inches wide at the top, 5½ inches wide at the bottom and 4 inches tall) with plastic wrap, allowing there to be at least 1 inch of overhang on all sides of the bowl. Set aside.
- Put the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to blend until completely smooth. Add the heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Quickly submerge 1 chocolate sandwich cookie into the milk, then place the cookie in the bottom of the prepared glass bowl. Continue to dip cookies and line the bowl until you reach the very top of the bowl, about 48 to 50 cookies total. Cut the cookies at the top as needed so that they do not go over the edge of the bowl.
- Scoop 2 cups of the cream over the cookies in the bowl, then use the back of a large spoon to gently spread the cream over all of the cookies, making sure to go all the way to the top of the bowl. Spoon ½ cup of the cream into the bottom of the bowl and spread it out into a flat layer. Dip 9 cookies and arrange in 1 flat layer on top of the cream. Continue adding flat layers in this order: 1 cup cream, 13 milk-dipped cookies, 2 cups cream, 15 milk-dipped cookies, all of the remaining cream then 19 milk-dipped cookies.
- Fold over the plastic wrap, then cover completely with another sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled and the cookies have softened, at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, carefully invert the bowl onto a large serving platter or cutting board, then use the plastic wrap lining to ease the bombe out of the bowl. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.