Homemade Dumplings 3 Ways
Meat, shrimp or veggies- there's something for everyone!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 2 cups green onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mushrooms, diced
- ¾ cup carrots, diced
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine the flour, salt, and warm water and mix until well combined.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Separate the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Roll out the piece into a thin log and divide into 6 or 8 pieces depend on the size of dumplings you want.
- Lightly flour the divided piece of dough and roll out piece to a thin circle roughly 4-inches in diameter.
- Keep the dumpling wrappers separated with parchment paper, and repeat with remaining dough.
- Combine cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil and mix until well incorporated.
- For the pork filling, combine the ground pork with salt, pepper and 1 cup of the cabbage mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- For the veggie filling combine mushrooms and carrot and microwave for 3 minutes, until soft. Add 1 cup of the cabbage mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- For the shrimp filling, combine shrimp with 1 cup of the cabbage mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- To assembly dumplings, add roughly 1 heaping tablespoon of filling into the center of a dumpling wrapper.
- With your finger lightly coat 1 half of the outside of the wrapper with water.
- Seal the dumplings using your prefered method.
- With pleating, start from one side and pleat the half of the dumpling closest to you, keeping the other half still.
- Heat oil on medium high in a pan and add a few dumplings, cooking them in batches.
- Once the bottom of the dumplings start to brown, add in a splash of water and cover with a lid.
- Steam for roughly 5 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked and water has evaporated.