All eyes on these meat pies! 👀 (Via The Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond)
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 20 frozen unbaked dinner rolls, such as Rhodes
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 2 eggs mixed with 2 tablespoons water, for an egg wash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
For the crust:
- Put the frozen rolls on a baking sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let thaw and rise for 2 to 3 hours.
For the filling:
- Add the oil to a large skillet and set it over medium heat. Cook the peppers and onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic, then cook for another minute. Transfer to a bowl or plate and set aside.
- Put the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the beef and cook, breaking up any lumps. Add the chili powder, cumin and ¾ teaspoon salt and cook until the meat is no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomato paste and ¼ cup water and stir until combined. Mix in the cooked vegetables. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool. When the meat is cool, add the cheese and parsley, then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out each dinner roll on a lightly floured surface into a 4-inch circle about ¼ inch thick. Put 1½ tablespoons of the meat mixture in the center of each circle. Brush around the outside of the circles with the egg wash and fold over the dough to form half-moon shapes. Press the edges together and crimp them with a fork. Put on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Watch the recipe video here:
All eyes on these meat pies! 👀 (Via The Pioneer Woman – Ree Drummond)
Posted by Food Network on Sunday, April 8, 2018