Here's how to make Ina Garten's favorite weeknight dinner.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1¼ cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Unsalted butter
- Good olive oil
- Salad greens for 6, washed and spun dry
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- ½ cup good olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are ¼-inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and ½ cup grated Parmesan. Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Toss the salad greens with Lemon Vinaigrette. Place a mound of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve with extra grated Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.