Instant Pot Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
Leftovers are delicious the next day!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 10 oz frozen peas and carrots mixture
- 6-8 oz diced cooked chicken (rotisserie works great)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with sliced green onion and additional sesame seeds (optional)
- Add rinsed rice and water to the pot, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 4 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, remove to a separate bowl and cover loosely with foil. Rinse the pot liner (just get any stuck rice grains out–you don’t need to wash it out completely).
- Add toasted sesame oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select CANCEL and then the SAUTE function.
- When oil gets hot, add onion to the pot and saute 2 minutes.
- Add peas, carrots, chicken and butter to the pot and cook and stir for another 2 minutes, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Push ingredients to the side of the pot and add beaten eggs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the egg begins to set, then fold into the vegetable and chicken mixture until egg is cooked through.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then fold in the cooked rice, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm with sliced green onions and additional sesame seeds for garnish (optional)