Giant Pepperoni Pizza Knot
Pizza, but not as you know it. This delicious pillowy bread is stuffed with pepperoni and cheese and dunked in pizza sauce.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 240 ml whole milk, lukewarm
- 2 tsp fast action, dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 large egg, whisked
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 500g bread flour
- 84g soft butter
- 500g mozzarella, sliced
- 150g pepperoni
- 100g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp rock salt
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1l passata
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Mix together milk, yeast, sugar in a large bowl. Let sit until slightly frothy. Add two eggs and stir until combined.
- Add in all of the flour and salt and mix until combined. Remove from the bowl and knead, the dough will be sticky but soft.
- Add the softened butter and knead into the dough. Knead for about 10-15 minutes until the dough is soft and forms a ball.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling film. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Knock back and roll into a long, thin worm shape with your hands. Flatten the dough and arrange the mozzarella and the pepperoni in the centre of the dough. Gather the sides and ends together to seal them.
- Twist the length of dough into a pretzel shape and place on a large greased tray. Cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for another half an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC (390ºF) (180ºC fan- 350ºF Fan).
- Mix the melted butter with the garlic. When doubled in size, brush buns gently with garlic butter and sprinkle the surface with salt and oregano.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until golden and brown.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until soft. Throw in the garlic and cook out for 1 min. Add the passata, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and let the sauce simmer for 20 mins, until it has thickened. Keep warm.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the pizza sauce to dip. Enjoy!