Roth Family Matzo Ball Soup
Learn how to make Mike's grandparents' warm and fuzzy matzo ball soup recipe
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups medium yellow onion, diced (300 g)
- 1 cup celery stalk, diced (225 g)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrot (110 g)
- 3 qt low-sodium chicken broth (3 L)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried chive
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 20 matzo balls
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion, celery, and garlic and sauté until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue cooking for another 2 minutes, until all of the vegetables are heated through.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, dill, chives, and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- When ready to serve, add the matzo balls to the simmering soup and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls.