You'll Love This Classic & Delicious Meal-In-A-Bag: Frito Chili Pie!
Frito chili pie has a well-known history that goes back a good amount of time. The meal is known to some as the “walking taco” or “Frito boat” but no matter what you call it, if you’ve tried it, you know it’s delicious. Frito Chili Pie is a true icon of American food, and the no-fuss aspects of this recipe make it a winner when feeding a crowd. Whether you buy up some snack-size bags of Fritos, or divvy up the chips into bowls yourself, you’ll love the crunch, and the flavor from the chili is out of this world! Don’t forget all the fixings for topping this yummy dish.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (12-14 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 ounce) diced tomatoes and chilies
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 can (14 ounce) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 ounce) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup warm water
- Individual bags of Fritos
- Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Diced red onion, for topping
- Diced jalapeno, for topping
- Diced green onion, for topping
- Sour cream, for topping
- Brown ground beef with garlic in a pot over medium-high heat. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add drained and rinsed beans. Stir to combine, then cover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal with water, then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for a final 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Serve by slicing the Frito bags open lengthwise. Pile in chili and cheese, and any other desired toppings. Serve immediately with plastic forks. Enjoy!
Watch the recipe video here: