Creamy Ricotta Chicken and Spinach Cannelloni Bake
Wrap chicken in homemade, spinach-based pasta for a flavorful and nutritious way to enjoy baked, cheesy goodness.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
For the cannelloni:
- ¾ pounds roasted chicken, shredded
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1 tablespoon picked thyme + extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Fresh spinach pasta:
- ½ pounds fresh spinach, steamed
- 2 eggs + 1 yolk
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour + extra for kneading
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare pasta*, place eggs and cooled spinach in a food processor; pulse until combined. Sprinkle with flour, salt and pepper, and pulse again until a ball of dough forms.
- Remove, transferring to a well-floured surface, and knead for about 7-10 minutes until dough bounces back when poked with index finger.
- Tightly wrap with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about an hour.
- Cut into eighths and, working in batches, begin to pass through a pasta machine, beginning at the widest setting down to 4 or 5, leaving a thin pasta sheet the width of the pasta machine. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 425°F, and prepare a baking dish by covering the bottom with heavy cream.
- Prepare filling by mixing together chicken, kale, thyme, garlic, lemon juice and zest, ricotta, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and crushed red pepper flakes if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare fresh pasta sheets by cutting into 7-inch inch pieces. Fill with chicken mixture along the middle of each piece. Starting at the bottom, roll pasta up and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Top cannelloni with remaining heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve hot.
- *Note: You may use store-bought fresh, lasagna sheets instead. Simply cut and fill according to directions above.
Watch the recipe video here:
Meet your next pasta obsession.Taste for Yourself: https://taste.md/2qJuWHt
Posted by Tastemade on Wednesday, May 30, 2018