General Tso Meatballs
Skip the takeout and create your own version as a meatball.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ c. panko bread crumbs
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced or grated
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ c. cornstarch
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, panko bread crumbs, 2 green onions, egg, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Roll mixture into small balls, about a heaping tablespoon. Then toss meatballs in cornstarch.
- In large skillet over medium high heat about ½” of vegetable oil. Add meatballs and cook until seared on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove meatballs from skillet and drain fat.
- To the skillet over medium heat, add chicken broth, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, hoisin, and honey. Whisk to combine then add back meatballs. Simmer until meatballs are cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining green onion and sesame seeds.