Deep Dish Pizza Buns
We love a good deep dish pizza. But instead of making the dough we've done a cheats version and filled a bun with the same goodness. Brushed with garlic butter, these are incredibly delicious!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Pizza
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 sausages removed from casing
- ½ cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp sugar
- 5 Hot dog buns, hollowed with a 2 cm edge
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Grated parmesan
- ¼ cup garlic butter
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage meat. Sear and break apart with the back of a spoon. When cooked, add pepperoni and cook through. Remove and let cool slightly.
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, and, sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer until thick.
- Arrange the buns in a tray. Top each with mozzarella and press down. Fill with a layer of sausage and pepperoni mix. Top with another slice of cheese & more sausage mix. Top with a layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Brush outside with garlic butter.
- Bake for 8 minutes until cheese is melted, enjoy!