Queso “Chips” recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 2 jalapeñoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 fl oz evaporated milk (355 mL)
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (300 g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (125 g)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups tortilla chips, crushed (80 g)
- 4 cups canola oil (960 mL)
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- pico de gallo, for serving
- guacamole, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the jalapeño and stir for 4 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the cornstarch and stir for two minutes. Add the evaporated milk and stir for 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
- Slowly add the cheese ½ cup (50 g) at a time. Stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove the queso from the heat. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then pour the queso over it. Use a spatula to spread the queso in an even layer about an ⅛ inch (3 mm) thick.
- Freeze for three hours.
- Remove the queso from the freezer and transfer to a cutting board. Carefully cut the queso horizontally into 7 rows, about 2½-inches (6-cm) apart.
- At the end of the bottom row, cut a triangle. Continue cutting triangles down the length of the row. Repeat with the remaining rows.
- Place the flour, eggs, and tortilla chip crumbs in 3 separate medium bowls.
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it reaches 350°F (180°C).
- Toss a triangle of queso in the flour. Tap off any excess flour, then dip the piece in the egg, then toss it in the tortilla chip crumbs. Repeat with the remaining queso chips.
- Fry the breaded queso chips 3-4 at a time, until golden brown, 15–30 seconds.
- Drain the chips on a wire rack or paper towels.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with guacamole, pico de gallo, and sour cream.