Chicken Pot Hotdish
Tater tots + chicken pot pie? We're SO ready for Chicken Pot Hotdish.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 carrots, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Chicken soup mix for 3 cups broth (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into ½-by-3/4-inch pieces
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds frozen tater tots
- Ketchup, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots, onion and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour until combined and then cook for 1 minute. Add half the milk and cook, whisking continuously, until thickened, about 5 minutes; repeat with the remaining milk. Stir in the chicken soup mix and then add the chicken, peas, thyme and a few turns of pepper. Simmer, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-by-11-inch baking dish (or other 3-quart ovensafe dish) and then cover with the tater tots. Make them snuggly and neat. Bake until the tots are golden brown; begin checking for doneness at 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve with ketchup, if desired.
Watch the recipe video here:
Tater tots + chicken pot pie? We're SO ready for Chicken Pot Hotdish. Watch Molly Yeh on #GirlMeetsFarm > Sundays at 11a|10c
Posted by Food Network on Saturday, July 28, 2018