Chocolate Cake with Malted Filling
Chocolate malt addicts rejoice with this chocolate cake made with malted filling and covered in malt balls.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1¾ cups wheat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 7 egg yolks
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 7 egg whites, beaten
- 9 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 4½ ounces melted milk chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, heated
- 1¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ tablespoons milk
- 17 ounces malted milk balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and cocoa powder.
- Sift the wheat flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add salt and baking powder and mix together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar and cooking oil until combined. Add half of the boiling water and continue to mix until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine. Add the remainder of the boiling water and mix until well incorporated. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Divide batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, add the powdered sugar and butter and beat with a mixer to combine. Beat in the milk, followed by the melted milk chocolate. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the chopped dark chocolate and pour the warm heavy cream on top. Mix until a ganache is formed. Set aside to cool.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving tray. Add a layer of milk chocolate frosting and top with second cake layer. Cover the cake with the chocolate ganache
- Stuff the layers of the cake with the chocolate buttercream, cover the cake with chocolate ganache and malted milk balls.