Cauliflower Baked Ziti
Don't miss out on Italian food just because you're cutting carbs.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 large head of cauliflower, (about 3 cups) cut into florets, blanched, and drained well
- 1½ c. fresh ricotta
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375°. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Add meat and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until browned. Drain fat.
- Add tomato paste and oregano and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes more, until slightly darkened. Add crushed tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and flavors have melded, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- In a large bowl, pour sauce over cauliflower and stir to combine. In a large baking dish, place half the cauliflower in an even layer. Dollop all over with half the ricotta, and sprinkle with half the mozzarella and parmesan. Add the rest of the cauliflower in an even layer on top, and top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake until cheese is melty and golden, 25 minutes. Garnish with basil and serve.