Blueberry Mousse Cake
Blueberry fans will love this creamy, layered mousse cake made with a blueberry and oatmeal cookie crust.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Cake
Blueberry lemon oatmeal crust:
- 2 cups sweet oatmeal cookies
- 1½ tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon blueberry powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 10 gelatin sheets or 2 tablespoons gelatin powder
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups heavy cream, soft whipped
- ¼ cup freeze-dried blueberries
For the crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, stir all ingredients until they reach a moist sand texture. Press into the bottom of a 6-inch springform pan, pressing down with the back of a cup.
- For the mousse: If using gelatin sheets, soak them in cold water until softened, about 5 minutes. Then squeeze out excess water, and stir into warm milk until dissolved. If using gelatin powder, sprinkle the powder over warm milk. Cook the milk/gelatin mixture on a double boiler until dissolved.
- Pour warm milk/gelatin mixture over mascarpone cheese. Stir in sugar, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Using a heavy duty blender, grind freeze-dried blueberries into blueberry powder. Stir in water to make a thick paste.
- Divide the mousse mixture among 4 bowls. Stir blueberry paste into 3 of the bowls, making 3 different shades of purple mousse.
- Starting with the white mouse, pour into the center of the pan. Follow with the light purple, medium purple and dark purple mousse.
- Tap the pan to smooth out the top. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.