BAKED RATATOUILLE WITH HAVARTI CHEESE
Layers of eggplant, zucchini and squash are baked in a tomato sauce with bell peppers and herbs then topped with Havarti cheese. This is a great tasting meatless main dish.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced ⅛th inch thick
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small, 6 ounce zucchini, sliced ⅛th inch thick
- 1 smalll, 6 ounce yellow squash, sliced ⅛th inch thick
- 3 oz light Havarti cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large non-stick skillet add olive oil and sauté onions and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add 1 tsp salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, red pepper flakes if using, bay leaf, thyme, basil, red and yellow bell pepper; sauté another 5-8 minutes on medium-low heat.
- In a large nonstick grill pan, grill the zucchini and eggplant 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Add 1 cup of the sauce to a casserole dish. Layer the eggplant, squash and the zucchini. Pour the remaining sauce over the top and top with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.