Upside-Down Caramel Apple Cake
This Upside Down Caramel Apple Cake is covered with a luscious top layer of caramel and loaded with apples over an extremely moist sponge. Perfect served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup caramel
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Pour caramel into the bottom of a 9” non-stick pan. Arrange apples in a pattern around the edge and in the centre.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with granulated and brown sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 2 additions of dry ingredients and 1 of buttermilk
- Bake in 160ºC oven for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving plate.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, enjoy!