A pistachio cookie base, creamy cherry filling and heavenly chocolate topping make this festive layered bar a truly delicious twist on Italian spumoni. It looks like it takes forever to make, but is way easier than you think—promise!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated sugar cookies
- ½ cup chopped shelled pistachio nuts
- ¼ teaspoon green gel food color
- ¼ cup white chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix (from 4-serving box)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ⅓ cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges.
- In medium bowl, stir or knead Bar ingredients until well mixed. Press dough evenly in bottom of pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In medium bowl, stir pudding mix and ¼ cup melted butter until well blended. Stir in maraschino cherries, powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice (if necessary, add remaining cherry juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth and creamy). Spread filling evenly over cooled cookie base. Set aside.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave Topping ingredients uncovered on High 45 to 60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted and smooth. Spread evenly over filling. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until set.
- Use foil to lift from pan; pull foil edges away. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.