Mei's Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Bites
One delicious blizzard coming up!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
Ice cream base
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Hot cocoa syrup
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
- 1½ cup marshmallows, chopped, divided
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cocoa syrup ingredients and heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon. Set aside and cool.
- In a medium bowl add the whipping cream and using a hand mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and ½ cup of cocoa syrup until incorporated.
- Add whipped cream to the condensed milk mixture and gently fold together until mixed together. Measure out ½ cup of chopped marshmallows and set aside to use later for marshmallow sauce.
- Using a metal loaf pan, pour a layer the condensed milk, drizzle a layer of cocoa syrup, sprinkle on a layer of chopped marshmallows. Starting again with the condensed milk repeat the layers until the pan is filled.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours until firm.
- Using a small melon baller, scoop the frozen ice cream into small truffle balls and place on a parchment covered sheet pan, freeze for 30-40 minutes until firm.
- In a large bowl melt chocolate in the microwave.
- One at a time, roll frozen ice cream truffles in the chocolate and return to the sheet pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ½ cup marshmallows and butter to a small bowl and microwave until melted, stir to combine into a marshmallow sauce.
- Dip each truffle half way into the marshmallow sauce, place back on the sheet pan, and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Freeze until ready to serve.