Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 25 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins
A quick and easy spin on a traditional side dish, these mashed potatoes are made with pure maple syrup and topped with crispy bacon bits to make for an irresistible sweet and savory combination!
- Cook the bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate with tongs to drain, reserving the bacon grease.
- Chop the bacon strips into pieces, then transfer to a small bowl and toss with ½ tablespoon of maple syrup. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch (2.5 cm). Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot.
- Add the milk, heavy cream, butter, and reserved bacon grease to a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until the butter melts.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or ricer. Pour in the warm milk mixture and stir until smooth. Add the remaining tablespoon of maple syrup and remaining 1½ teaspoons of salt and stir to combine. Add more milk or heavy cream if the potatoes are too stiff.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large serving bowl, top with the maple-coated bacon, and serve.