Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
Better-than-restaurant French dip sandwiches at home!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
For the pot:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2.5 lbs beef chuck roast, left at room temperature for 15 minutes
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine
- 14 oz beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 6 soft rolls
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- Season the beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- When oil gets hot, brown the meat on all sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through. Transfer browned meat to a shallow dish and cover loosely with foil.
- Add onion to the pot and saute until soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add wine to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add beef broth and bay leaf to the pot. Put the meat back into to the pot, turning once to coat.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 100 minutes.
- When the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 25 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot to a cutting board and shred.
- Strain remaining liquid. Reserve onions to serve with the sandwich (optional).
- Use a spoon or fat separator to skim fat from remaining juices. Discard fat. Season au jus with 1 tbsp kosher salt, or to taste.
- Slice open rolls, brush with melted butter and garlic salt and set under a broiler 2-3 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Top toasted rolls with shredded beef and cheese. Return to broiler for 2-3 minutes, until cheese begins to melt.
- Top with chopped parsley (optional) and serve with au jus for dipping.