Instant Pot Fabulous French Onion Soup
This version of the classic is gorgeously cheesy with a silky texture.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Drinks
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered and sliced onion “quarter moon” shaped slices
- 4 smaller sweet onions, quartered and sliced onion “quarter moon” shaped slices
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup brandy
- ¾ cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth, warmed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices of french bread, toasted (look for bread that is a big enough diameter to almost cover the opening of the crocks–or use croutons instead)
- 4 slices gruyere (or swiss) cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Paprika for garnish
- Add butter and oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- When butter is melted, add onion, brown sugar, thyme, garlic and bay leaf to the pot.
- Cook and stir for 10-15 minutes until onions have cooked down by half and have a pasta-like consistency.
- Add brandy to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Continue to cook and stir until alcohol has cooked off, then add red wine and warmed broth to the pot and stir.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 8 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure. Remove and discard thyme stems and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into crocks, place a slice of bread on each crock and a slice of cheese on each piece of bread. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Put crocks on a baking sheet lined with foil and set under the broiler until the top begins to bubble and brown, 5-7 minutes.
Watch the recipe video here:
This version of the classic is gorgeously cheesy with a silky texture.RECIPE: http://chopsecrets.com/instant-pot-fabulous-french-onion-soup/