Instant Pot Apple Butternut Squash Soup
This seasonal favorite stars tangy, sweet apples and velvety butternut squash.
Author: The Chef
Cuisine: Main dish
Recipe type: The Chef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1½ lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Sour cream or plain yogurt for serving
- Additional cubed apples tossed in lemon juice for garnish (optional)
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- When oil gets hot, add onion to the pot and saute until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add apple, salt, and spices and stir to combine.
- Add broth to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add squash and stir. Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 5 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure, then select CANCEL to turn off the pot.
- Use an immersion blender (we love this one: https://amzn.to/2yBqLSB) to blend the soup until smooth.
- Cool slightly, then stir in cream and maple syrup.
- Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt. Garnish with additional cubed apples as needed.