Giant Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll
Get a pot of coffee on, this giant apple pie cinnamon roll with cinnamon icing is incredible. Perfect for dessert to end a lavish meal or simple for coffee time!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Cake
- 6 cups finely chopped cooking apples
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) milk, warmed
- ½ cup (135g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 standard size packets)
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 and ½ cups (562g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting/rolling
- 2 cups Icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add apples, cinnamon and sugars. Cover and cook until softened and juices have reduced. Cool completely
- In a large bowl, add warm milk, sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until frothy
- Add softened butter, salt, eggs, and flour to the bowl and mix well.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 16 inches long by 12 inches wide. It should be approx ¼ inch thick.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over dough. Cut into four strips. Roll each strip into each other to create a giant spiral.
- Place carefully into a large buttered skillet. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too much. Then bake for another 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Make icing and proud over entire bun evenly. Slice and serve.