Fajitas in a Grill Basket
Love fajitas, but don't want to deal with multiple skillets and a smoky kitchen? Take it outside! These grill basket fajitas keep all the ingredients separate so everyone can have their favorite combinations without creating extra mess -- plus the grill add a yummy char to everything.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- One 1½- to 2-pound skirt steak, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bell peppers or poblano peppers, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rounds
- 2 chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each), sliced into 1-inch strips
- Ten to twelve 8-inch flour tortillas
- sour cream, shredded Cheddar, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, sliced avocado, lime wedges
Special equipment: a grill basket
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
- Place a grill basket on a baking sheet. Mix together the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne and 2 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Add the steak to a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle a third of the spice blend on the steak and toss until coated. Transfer the steak to one side of the grill basket. Repeat the process first with the peppers and onion, placing them in the middle of the grill basket, and then with the chicken, arranging it on the remaining empty side of the grill basket; try to keep the rows mostly separate (they can overlap slightly). Close and secure the grill basket.
- Put the grill basket on the grill and let cook, flipping once, until everything starts to brown and caramelize, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees F, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from the grill, place on a clean baking sheet and open the basket, letting it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the tortillas until they start to char slightly, about 30 seconds per side.
- Divide the meats and vegetables among the tortillas. Serve with desired toppings.