Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs
Delicious Italian turkey meatballs, all made in the slow cooker. No baking or frying required!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 20 oz (1.3 lb) ground turkey breast 93% lean
- ¼ cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Reggiano Parmigiano cheese, grated
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt + fresh pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil or parsley
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese.
- Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients and form small meatballs, about ⅛th cup each.
- In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn.
- Pour crushed tomatoes into the crock pot with bay leaf. Add garlic and oil.
- Drop meatballs into the sauce, cover and set crock pot to low, 4 to 6 hours.
- When meatballs are ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste and add fresh chopped basil or parsley.
- Serve with ricotta, over pasta or enjoy with French bread.