Cinnamon Swirl Topped Apple Cake
This Cinnamon Roll Apple Cake is a showstopper. When you can't decide what you want for dessert, might as well combine two of the favours, apple cake and cinnamon rolls!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- ½ cup milk, warmed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 160ml water
- 60ml oil
- Caramel sauce, warmed slightly
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a springform pan with butter and parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add milk, sugar and yeast. Whisk together and let sit for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Add butter and egg to the yeast mixture and whisk to combine. Add in the salt and flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and dust with flour. Knead a few times until it comes together into a smooth ball. Transfer to a greased bowl and cover with a towel or cling film. Let rest and rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together apples, flour, cinnamon and brown sugar and toss to combine.
- Mix the vanilla cake mix with eggs, water and oil until smooth. Pour into the cake tin, top with the apples.
- Punch down the dough, roll out into a large rectangle. Spread butter all over. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together, shake over butter and spread out. Cut dough into 1-inch strips. Roll one strip into a spiral.
- Place spiral on top of the apples in the middle. Take remaining strips of dough and wrap spiral repeating until finished.
- Bake for 45 mins - 1 hour until the cinnamon roll is cooked and golden brown. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove from the cake tin. Pour caramel sauce over cinnamon swirl.
- Slice and serve, enjoy!