Cheats Beef Empanadas
Crispy on the outside, then soft and bursting with flavour on the inside… Feel that Latin American vibe when you bite into these scrumptious cheat’s empanadas, featuring Santa Maria Medium Taco Seasoning Mix and Mini Coconut & Black Pepper Tortillas. Simple to make and guaranteed to go down a treat. Slather on some salsa, and get stuck in! #santmariauk #latinamericankitchen #fajitafriday
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 diced mixed peppers
- 500g 20% fat beef mince
- 1 pouch Santa Maria Medium Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 100g mild cheddar, grated
- 1 Pack Santa Maria Coconut & Black Pepper Tortillas
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 litre oil, for frying
- 100g Santa Maria Sour Cream
- 100g Santa Maria Medium Salsa
- Fry the onion and diced peppers in the olive oil until soft. Add the ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon, then add the Santa Maria Medium Taco Seasoning Mix and brown sugar and continue cooking under the beef is tender and there’s very little liquid left in the pan.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat the oil to around 170°C.
- In a small bowl thoroughly whisk the flour and water together to make a smooth paste.
- Place dollops of the beef mixture in the middle of the Santa Maria Mini Coconut & Black Pepper Tortillas along with sprinklings of cheddar. Brush one half of the rim with the paste and fold over to stick together.
- Fry in batches (careful not to overcrowd the pan) until golden and crisp. Place on kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil then place on to a wire cooling rack while you make the dip.
- Whisk the Santa Maria Sour Cream and Salsa together and top with chopped coriander.