Cereal-Stuffed French Toast
Cereal-Crusted French Toast... and it's stuffed with berries and cream cheese! 🤯🍓
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 loaf challah bread or any tall braided bread
- 2½ cups tropical or fruity cereal, such as Fruity Pebbles, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Cut four 2-inch-thick slices of bread from the center of the loaf (save the rest for another use). Using a paring knife, make a small cut through the bottom of each slice of bread going horizontally to create a pocket for the filling.
- Pour the cereal into a large resealable plastic bag and seal. Using a rolling pin, crush the cereal into pieces; stop before it gets too fine. Pour 2 tablespoons of the crushed cereal into a bowl. Add the cream cheese and chopped strawberries and blueberries and mix.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the half-and-half, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Using a spoon, stuff a slice of bread with about 2 tablespoons of the filling. Close the opening and dip into the egg mixture to coat (about 5 seconds on each side). Transfer the bread to the bag filled with cereal and carefully coat each side.
- Cook the bread in the skillet until toasted on both sides, being careful not to burn it, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Stuff, dip, coat and cook the remaining bread slices one at a time, adding an additional tablespoon of butter to the skillet when cooking each batch (see Cook's Note).
- Serve with whipped cream or maple syrup and garnish with berries and more cereal.