Blueberry Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches
The official dessert of summer. Make them with local blueberries from Walmart!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
Blueberry swirl ice cream:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup waffle/pancake mix
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- Over medium heat, cook ¼ cup blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Lightly mash
- blueberries and continue to cook. Fruit should be thick and shiny (about 4–5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add remaining ½ cup blueberries. Set aside to cool completely.
- Whip cream until stiff and add vanilla, then fold in condensed milk. Pour ½ into a loaf pan
- and add ½ of the blueberry compote. Top with remaining cream and then finish with
- blueberry compote. Using the handle of a long spoon, carefully swirl compote into the
- cream, making a nice swirl pattern and lightly combining ingredients. Cover and freeze
- for at least 8 hours.
- Heat a waffle iron on its highest setting and lightly spray with oil. Carefully pour about (1)
- ladle of batter onto iron and close. Cook waffles until golden brown. (Can cook longer if
- you desire a crispier waffle.)
- Set aside waffles and cut into quarter pieces (should have 16 quarter pieces).
- Place (1) scoop of ice cream between (2) waffles and serve immediately.