Banana Pudding Cake
This one is a stunner.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- 1 (3.4 oz) box vanilla pudding
- 2 c. cold milk
- ½ c. cool whip
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 1½ c. butter, softened
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¼ c. plus 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 c. crushed Nilla wafers
- Whole Nilla Wafers, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two round 9" cake pans with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray. Prepare cake mix according to package instructions. Divide batter between cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cakes cool for 10 minutes in pans then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Make pudding: In a large bowl, combine milk and pudding mix and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Fold in Cool Whip.
- Make butterceam: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, combine butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add remaining sugar and heavy cream and beat until smooth.
- Assemble cake: Using a serrated knife, cut off the rounded top of each cake to level. Top one cake with a thick layer of pudding then top with most banana slices. (Reserve some to garnish.) Place second cake on top and frost entire cake with buttercream, reserving about 1 cup to pipe on top. Press crushed Nilla wafers around the sides of the cake.
- Transfer remaining buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe large swirls around the top of the cake. Decorate with Nilla wafers and more banana slices.