Winnie’s Mini Rhubarb & Strawberry Pies
Every spring, we had strawberries and rhubarb on our farm outside Seattle. These fruity hand pies remind me of those times and of Grandma Winnie’s baking.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place tapioca in a small food processor or spice grinder; process until finely ground.
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, tapioca and, if desired, food coloring; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until strawberries are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to an 18-in. circle. Cut 12 circles with a 4-in. biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary; press dough onto bottom and up sides of ungreased muffin cups. Cut 6 more circles with remaining dough. Spoon strawberry mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.