A classic dish with a vegetarian twist.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced and divided (150 g)
- 10 oz cremini mushroom, finely chopped (280 g)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 3 teaspoons vegan worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste, divided
- ¾ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 15 oz cannellini bean, 1 can, drained and rinsed (425 g)
- ¾ cup bread crumbs (85 g)
- ⅓ cup vital wheat gluten, or bread crumbs (40 g)
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth, plus 2 tablespoons, divided (840 mL)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups okra, sliced into ½-in (1 cm) rounds (200 g)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cups tomato, crushed (300 g)
- 15 oz red kidney bean, 1 can, drained and rinsed (425 g)
- brown rice, cooked, for serving
- fresh parsley, chopped, for serving
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add ½ cup (75g) diced onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until semi-translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, until most of the juices have evaporated.
- Add 2 cloves of minced garlic, the soy sauce, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon oregano, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the spices are fragrant.
- Add the cannellini beans to a medium bowl and mash until mostly smooth (a few lumps are okay). Then, add the mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, vital wheat gluten, and 2 tablespoons vegetable broth and mix well until combined. Use your hands to knead the mixture until cohesive, then begin to roll about a tablespoon at a time of the mixture into “meatballs”.
- In the same large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the meatballs and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the meatballs from the pot and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot, along with the flour. Stir the roux continuously with a wooden spoon for about 3-4 minutes, until the consistency resembles wet sand.
- Add the remaining ½ cup (75g) diced onion, the celery, and the okra to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is semi-translucent.
- Add the remaining 4 cloves of minced garlic and the green bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke, 1 teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cayenne, and ½ teaspoon pepper and cook for 4 more minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir until combined. Then, add the red beans and add the remaining 3½ cups (840ml) vegetable broth and stir until well combined. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the gumbo has thickened.
- Season with salt to taste. Then, add the meatballs and stir to incorporate.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.