THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
The Best Chocolate Cake combines cocoa and coffee to create a chocolate lover’s dream. The rich buttercream frosting makes it perfect! Keep reading to find out why coffee and buttermilk play important roles in this chocolate cake recipe.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 cups sugar (400 grams)
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour (210 grams)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (64 grams)
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Flour Black Cocoa, optional (11 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (12 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4 grams)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (6 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (240 mL)
- 1 cup strong black coffee (I used Green Mountain Coffee’s Vermont Country Blend) (240 mL)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120 mL)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (4 grams)
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa(s), baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost as desired. I used a simple and delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from Savory Sweet Life. One batch was perfect for this chocolate layer cake.
Watch the recipe video here:
The Best Chocolate Cake with rich buttercream frosting! 💕RECIPE: https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/the-best-chocolate-cake