Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
Our coworker Kyle brought his mom in and made Taiwanese beef noodle soup! ❤️
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 lb beef shank (905 g)
- 6 scallions, halved, divided
- 8 slices ginger, divided
- 6 pieces star anise, divided
- ½ cup vegetable oil (120 g)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 red chillis, halved
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon rock sugar
- 3 tablespoons spicy bean paste, or regular bean paste
- ½ cup dark soy sauce (120 mL)
- ½ cup rice wine (120 mL)
- ½ cup light soy sauce (120 mL)
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 leaves bay leaf
- 2 bundles flour noodle
- 2 cups bok choy (50 g)
- red chilli, finely diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- scallion, sliced
- Fill a large pot with about 6 quarts (5 ½ L) of water and add beef, 3 scallions, 5 slices of ginger, and 3 pieces of star anise. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat, rinse in cold water, and cut into thick slices. Discard the water in the pot.
- In a wok or large pan over medium high heat, pour in the vegetable oil and add the remaining 3 scallions, 3 ginger slices, garlic, red chilies, remaining 3 pieces of star anise, onion, rock sugar, and spicy bean paste. Cook until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the sliced beef.
- Add the dark soy sauce, for color, stir, then add the rice wine.
- Pour in the light soy sauce, for flavor, then add the tomatoes. Stir fry for 8-10 minutes.
- Fill the same large pot about a quarter of the way with water and heat over medium-high heat. Add the stir-fried meat, vegetables, and cooking liquid.
- Add more water until the meat is just covered, then add the white pepper, salt, and bay leaves. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours, until the meat becomes tender. Remove bay leaves and star anise before serving.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat and cook the flour noodles according to the package instructions. Remove the noodles from the water.
- Add the bok choy. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove.
- To assemble the soup, place a generous amount of noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Then add bok choy, meat, and broth. Garnish with scallions, cilantro, and red chilies.
Watch the recipe video here:
Our coworker Kyle brought his mom in and made Taiwanese beef noodle soup! ❤️FULL RECIPE: https://tasty.co/recipe/taiwanese-beef-noodle-soup
Posted by Tasty on Wednesday, November 7, 2018