Strawberry Sweet Rolls
These strawberry sweet rolls are gonna have you licking your fingers 🍓!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk, warm to the touch
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 5 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup strawberry preserve
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Generously grease a 9-inch (23 cm) cast iron or cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together warm milk, melted butter, and granulated sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F (40˚C). If hotter, allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let sit for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups (500 grams) of all-purpose flour to the milk mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size. Remove the towel and add an additional ¾ cup (95 grams) of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, about ½ cup (60 grams), until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch (12 mm) thick.
- In a small bowl combine the strawberry preserves and butter, stir to combine.
- Spread the filling mixture evenly over the rolled out dough, leave about 1½ inches (4 cm) from the edge.
- Starting from the bottom roll the dough upward, being careful not to squeeze the filling out.
- With a knife cut the rolled dough into 8 pieces.
- Place strawberry roll in the prepared cast iron or cake pan and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and leave to rise for 30 minutes. The strawberry rolls should expand to the edges of the pan during this time.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cover the rolls with foil to prevent the outside from burning, and bake for an additional 35 minutes.
- While the strawberry rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, whole milk, and powdered sugar, until smooth.
- Remove the strawberry rolls from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes. Once cool, drizzle frosting over the rolls before serving.