SAUSAGE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats are perfect for summer zucchinis, stuffed with lean Italian chicken sausage, then topped with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1¼ cups quick marinara sauce
- 4 medium zucchinis, 31 oz total
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (Al Fresco)
- ½ cup part skim shredded mozzarella, Polly-O
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving ¼" thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
- Place ¼ cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12" baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside.
- Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with ⅓ cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly.
- Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Watch the recipe video here:
Low-Carb Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats are perfect for summer zucchinis, stuffed with lean Italian chicken sausage,…