Put-It-On-Everything Cashew Sauce
This rich, creamy vegan(!) sauce is your new all-purpose condiment. Packed with herbs, it's a no-brainer for a seasonal veggies-and-dip situation, but can easily be dressed up to suit any occasion. Swap the herbs and vinegar for lime juice and zest and you've got a perfect taco-topper. Add some chipotles in adobo to make a spicy, smoky bottom-of-the-plate schmear for roasted veggies. Or spike it with some grated garlic and thin it with lemon juice for a killer dairy-free ranch dressing.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup mixed tender herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, dill, and/or basil
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice or distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- Crudités, such as radicchio, carrots, radishes, and batons of bread (for serving)
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a tea kettle or small saucepan. Place 2 cups cashews in a medium heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover bowl with a plate or plastic wrap and let sit 10 minutes.
- Strain cashews through a fine-mesh sieve into another medium bowl, reserving soaking liquid.
- Transfer nuts to blender, then add 1 cup herbs, 2 Tbsp. vinegar, 1 Tbsp. salt, and half of soaking liquid.
- Blend on medium speed, scraping down sides with a spatula and adding more soaking liquid as needed, until cashew cream is very smooth and the consistency of yogurt, 1–2 minutes.
- Using spatula, transfer cashew cream to a medium bowl. Serve with crudités alongside.