Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 13x17-inch jelly roll pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until just incorporated, then spread ⅔ dough mixture into greased baking sheet.
- Spread cherry pie filling into an even layer on top of dough, then crumble or drop remaining dough on top of pie filling.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 33-35 minutes, or until edges of crust are just golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- To make glaze: whisk milk and almond extract into powdered sugar, adding ½-1 tablespoon more milk in if needed.
- Drizzle glaze on top of cooled cherry bars, then let set before slicing and serving.