Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
These pineapple upside down pancakes are a great way to upgrade breakfast 🍍 !
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups (250 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 1 ½ cups (355 mL) milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110 g) butter, ¼ cup (55g) melted, plus additional for frying
- ¼ cup (55 g) brown sugar
- 1 ½ fl oz (45 mL) spiced rum, optional
- 20 oz (600 mL) canned pineapple ring with juice, 1 can, we got about ½ cup (180 ml) of juice once separated from the fruit
- maraschino cherry
- To a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Create a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add milk, half of the reserved pineapple juice, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until ingredients combine to form a lumpy batter. Set aside while you make the pineapple syrup.
- Add the remaining butter to small sauce pan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar, the remaining pineapple juice, and rum (optional).
- Bring ingredients to a boil allowing for the sugar to melt and caramelize. Once mixture is smooth and has the consistency of syrup, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add a slice of pineapple. Cook pineapple ring until lightly caramelized on one side, about 2 minutes, before flipping it.
- Once flipped, fill the core of the pineapple with 1-2 maraschino cherries before pouring about ¼ cup (30 grams) of the pancake batter over.
- Cook until the edges start to set and the top begins to bubble, about 2 minutes, before carefully flipping the pancake--revealing the pineapple underneath. Cook for an additional 90 seconds to 2 minutes until the pancake is cooked through.
- Store cooked pancakes in a 200˚F (90˚C) oven until ready to serve.
- Serve pancakes warm with reserved pineapple syrup.
Watch the recipe video here:
These pineapple upside down pancakes are a great way to upgrade breakfast 🍍 !FULL RECIPE: https://tasty.co/recipe/pineapple-upside-down-pancakes
Posted by Tasty on Sunday, March 11, 2018