NAKED TURKEY BRUSCHETTA BURGERS
Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burger are healthy, delicious, turkey burgers made juicy thanks to added zucchini and topped with a summer garden tomato bruschetta set over a bed of baby arugula – no bun required!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced
FOR THE TURKEY ZUCCHINI BURGERS:
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup, or 5 oz)
- ¼ cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, or GF crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into 10 thin slices
- 4 loose cups baby arugula
- Combine the red onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Set aside a few minutes while you chop the tomatoes, then place in the bowl.
- Add the garlic, basil and additional salt and pepper, to taste and mix well and set aside.
- Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini in a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- Form into 5 equal sized patties about 5 oz each, forming them as flat as possible.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- When hot, lightly spray with oil.
- Add the burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, careful not to burn.
- To serve, arrange 3 slices of tomatoes on each dish, then place 1 cup arugula on top in the center, then top with the burger and finish with the bruschetta (don't forget to add the cheese), serve right away.