Mixed Berry Baklava
This colorful, fruit-forward twist on baklava adds strawberries, raspberries and more to this honey-sweet, phyllo dough pastry.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 2 cups strawberries, cut in half
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¾ cup blackberries
- ¾ cup raspberries
- 1¾ cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove
- 1 orange peel
- 1 (10-ounce) package phyllo pastry
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- In a saucepan, add the strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, ¾ cup sugar and nutmeg. Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until it reaches the consistency of jam. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add remaining sugar, water, honey, cinnamon, clove and orange peel.
- Boil until it reaches the consistency of syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Brush the bottom of a baking dish with melted butter, add a layer of phyllo pastry, brush with more butter and add another layer of dough.
- Cover with a thin layer of red fruit jelly and chopped walnuts.
- Continue alternating the double layers of dough (always brushing with butter) and the layers of jelly and nuts.
- Finish with a layer of dough, brush with butter and make radial cuts in the shape of a star.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, cover with half the syrup and set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve with more syrup.