- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups (520 g) tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup (75 g) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 40 pre-cooked meatballs
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 2 cups (200 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (25 g) shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add the oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook the onions and garlic until deeply caramelized.
- Mix in tomato sauce, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dried basil and oregano. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked meatballs and coat them with sauce. Remove sauce from heat.
- Roll out three rectangles of puff pastry. One should be 16-inches (41 cm) long, one 22-inches (56 cm) long and the third, 28-inches (71 cm) long. All three should be about 6-inches (15 cm) wide.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese in a line across the bottom of each strip, then place meatballs on top in a line about 1-inch (2 cm) apart from each other.
- Roll pastry over the meatballs. Then take the smallest roll and wrap it around a small oven safe bowl placed on top of a baking sheet. Make sure the ends of the pastry meet and pat together to connect.
- Take a knife and press down the puff pastry between each meatball creating a small opening on either side of the puff pastry. Make a small cut between each meatball just below the top of the puff pastry so that the roll is still connected.
- Repeat this step again with the medium roll and largest roll, wrapping them around each other.
- Add marinara sauce to the oven safe bowl.
- Brush egg wash over the entire ring and sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese on top. Cover sauce with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Watch the recipe video here:
Meatballs in a blanket = YES 😍!FULL RECIPE: https://tasty.co/recipe/meatball-in-a-blanket-ringDo you want to shop our kitchen essentials? CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/2mbUyva – We may make some $$ if you buy!
Posted by Tasty on Friday, January 5, 2018