Melting Snowman Bark
Puddles of creamy white chocolate harden into delightful holiday treats without turning on the oven. Decorate them with different candies.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 pound white chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped semisweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 white chocolate-coated truffle balls, such as Lindt
- 12 black licorice gumdrop candies, for hats, or twelve 1-inch pieces rope licorice
- 36 colorful mini candy-coated chocolates, for buttons, plus 24 mini candy-coated chocolates, for earmuffs, optional
- 12 pretzel sticks or chocolate-covered pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 12 small orange sprinkles or other tiny orange candies, such as Tic Tacs
- 6 multicolored sour gummy belt candies
- Confectioners' sugar, for serving, optional
- Special equipment: a piping bag with a small #2 or #3 plain tip or a resealable plastic bag
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the white chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave at 50 percent power for 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until it is completely smooth.
- Melt the semisweet chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave at 50 percent power in 15 second intervals, stirring after each until it is completely smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with a small plain tip (#2 or #3). (Alternatively, transfer to a resealable plastic bag and snip off a corner.)
- Spoon 12 ovals of white chocolate onto the parchment for the melted snowman bodies, leaving several tablespoons of white chocolate behind in the bowl. Top each oval with a truffle for a head. (If the truffle has a flatter side, attach it facing up for the hat decoration option, so the hat will adhere. If you are making the earmuff option, place the more rounded side up.)
- For the hat decoration: Cut each licorice gumdrop in half crosswise. Lay the flat disc-shaped piece on a flat surface and use the heel of your hand to flatten it into a larger disc shape. Attach the other half of the licorice back onto each using the sticky sides to adhere to each other. Dip the bottom of the licorice candies in the reserved white chocolate and attach to the tops of the truffles for hats.
- For the earmuff decoration: Spread white chocolate on the rope licorice and attach to the truffles for earmuff headbands. Dot white chocolate onto the mini candy-coated chocolates and attach to the sides of the truffles to make the earmuffs.
- For the body and face decoration: Stick the pretzel pieces into the white chocolate for arms and arrange some of the mini candy-coated chocolates down the center for buttons. With scissors, cut the gummy belts in half lengthwise, trim the ends to make scarves and set aside.
- Spread a little white chocolate on the orange candies and attach for noses, holding in place until the chocolate hardens. Pipe the semisweet chocolate on for the eyes and mouth. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Wrap the gummy scarves around the snowmen and pinch to attach at the front. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Dust the melted snowmen with confectioners' sugar if desired.