Jalapeno Popper Chicken Swirl Pie
JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN SWIRL PIE
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 8 rashers bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 jalapeños, sliced into rings
- 40g butter
- 40g flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 225ml heavy cream
- 100g cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g, butter grated
- 180ml whole milk
- 1 cup grated red cheddar
- 2-3 tbsp diced jalapeños
- Egg wash
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts, seasoning on both sides. Sear on both sides and cook through. Remove to a dish and shred. Set aside while making the sauce.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil, onion and bacon. Cook until onions are caramelised and bacon is just crispy.
- Add garlic and jalapeños. Cook until aromatic.
- Make the roux, add the butter and melt. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to combine. Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring in between until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add the cream cheese and mix until melted. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 5 minutes then add the shredded chicken. Stir and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour and butter. Until small pebbles are formed. Add the milk and mix well. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Roll out into a large rectangle.
- Sprinkle cheese over the dough leaving about ½ bare edge to seal. Sprinkle with jalapeños. Brush the bare edge with egg wash.
- Roll into a tight log. Cut into ½” spirals. Arrange on top of the chicken skillet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.