Fried Bologna Casserole Is What's For Dinner Tonight
More proof that America is still great..... Bologna! This time let's put it in a casserole! Keep the kids happy and coming back for seconds! Creamy mashed potato, gooey cheese and the star of course, Fried Bologna! Simple but absolutely a staple in my kitchen and hopefully yours too!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 8 slices bologna
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups warm mashed potatoes
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 1½ quart baking dish.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the bologna slices in the hot skillet until browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe excess grease from the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and stir in the butter and onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir the onions into the warm mashed potatoes.
- Spread â…“ of the mashed potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Layer with 2 of the fried bologna, and sprinkle with â…“ of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly, and the center is hot, about 30 minutes.