Instant Pot Shrimp and Scallop Paella Pronto
I love this saffron-infused seafood and rice dish.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup valencia rice (or arborio)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably 31-40 size or larger)
- 1 lb sea scallops
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro or italian parsley (optional)
- Add butter to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- When butter has melted, add onion to the pot and saute until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add Spice Mixture ingredients to the pot and cook for 1 minute or until spices are fragrant.
- Add rice and red pepper to the pot and stir well.
- Add broth and wine to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 6 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure. Add the shrimp, scallops and frozen peas.
- Cook and gently stir until shrimp and scallops are cooked through and most of the liquid has been absorbed, returning to SAUTE mode as needed.
- (Optional) Arrange on a paella pan (or other wide, shallow, stovetop-safe pan) and set on the stovetop, uncovered, on medium-high heat until the bottom of the rice forms a crust, about 5 minutes.
- Serve family-style sprinkled with cilantro or parsley.