Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I love chicken tortilla soup, but I hardly ever make it because it takes so long to get a flavorful broth and really tender chicken. That’s where the Instant Pot comes in – the high pressure cooks everything quickly, and all the flavors get melded together in a fraction of the time. Home late, but trying to resist the temptation for a fast-food fix? This one-pot chicken tortilla soup recipe is a great solution. It combines frozen chicken and corn with beans, tomatoes, and stock from your pantry. It’s kid-friendly but is pretty enough to serve for guests. And it’s ready in just 30 minutes! Just because it’s a weeknight dinner doesn’t mean it can’t be gorgeous and tasty. Ladling the hot soup over crunchy chips right before serving melts the cheese for a fantastic texture combination. Psst…don’t tell the kids, but it’s also loaded with protein and vegetables. Want it spicier? Use two packets of taco seasoning instead of one and bring on the jalapenos!
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 lb frozen chicken breasts (about 2)
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 32 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup prepared taco seasoning (1 pouch)
- ⅔ cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 4-5 cups tortilla chips
- Diced avocado and finely chopped cilantro for garnish
- Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- buttons and program the Instant Pot for 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the pressure. Shred any remaining large pieces of chicken and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in each serving bowl place ⅔ cup tortilla chips sprinkled with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Ladle hot soup over chips and cheese just before serving.
- Serve with diced, fresh avocado and cilantro.
- *If your Instant Pot does not have a MANUAL function, use the Pressure Cook function.