Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Hearty slices of beef are tossed in a creamy, savory sauce.
Author: The Chef
Recipe type: Main dish
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- large onion, finely diced
- 16 oz baby bella (or cremini) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1½ cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 8 oz sour cream
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 2 oz packet of dry onion soup/dip mix
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 10-12 oz hot cooked egg noodles for serving
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley for garnish, optional
- Add olive oil and butter to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- When oil mixture gets hot, brown the meat on all sides, 2 minutes per side. Meat will not be cooked through. Do not crowd the pot–you may have to work in batches. Transfer browned meat to a shallow dish and cover loosely with foil.
- Add onion to the pot and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute 3 minutes more. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add wine and dijon to the pot and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add beef broth and thyme, then put the browned meat back into to the pot, stirring to combine.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 7 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure. Select CANCEL and then SAUTE once again.
- Mix together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl and stir into the pot until thickened.
- Turn off the pot by selecting CANCEL, cool for 3 minutes and then mix in the sour cream, cream cheese, onion soup mix and garlic salt. Stir until well-incorporated and smooth.
- Serve hot over prepared egg noodles sprinkled with chopped Italian parsley.